Thursday, October 07, 2004

 

Rusty baby

I have a poster of Kasparov in my cube. He always has been a "King of Kings" for me. But, nowadays, he is not even acting like a king, leave out "King of Kings"...

If you are wondering what I am rambling about, see this Chessbase report. Kasparov lost to Rublevsky. Last year in European Club Championships, Kasparov was showing a performance of 3000+ in the first 4 games, but lost in the final round to Huzman. That was a simple tactical shot overlooked. This time, Rublevsky soundly overplayed Kasparov in the endgame (Rook Pawn ending). Though there are valid reasons for Kasparov losing (age 40+, rusty, blah blah), obvioulsy Kasparov is past his peak. It is really sad to see that there is no one to replace Kasparv; Kramnik & Anand are very strong players, but they *cannot* replace Kaspy!! If only Kasparov can shake off the rust and concentrate more on Chess (He is going for the presidentship, btw :) ), I am sure we will see the old lion roar & reign the jungle for atleast a couple of years to come.

Comments:
You are extremely right in your view Anand and Kramnik are very strong, but not close to Kasparov at his best. Though I don't deserve to pass my views on technical aspects of chess (Sicilian, King Indian et al), as an avid sports watcher, I am in sync with you. In my opinion, among the active chess geniuses, I would like Fischer and Kasparov play a long series (ofcourse, both at their best) and see how it goes.

Why don't you venture into other sports too? Not interested or what?
 
Thx for the comment. Kasparov always has been someone I have looked up to; I am sure many other GMs feel this way too. Reg why I do not talk about other sports, I am afraid I am not a serious follower of anyother sports (except Chess, Badminton & Snooker). So, even if I post something on the other things, it'd be just a rehash of what everyone has seen in the newspapers/sites. In Chess, I have an advantage that I can spice up my views with the numerous Chess anecdotes I have read.

But, I will keep your sugg. in mind. I might start posting something on other sports too :)
 
Way to go man
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Indian Bloggers Ring
[ Join | Hub | ? | << | >> ]