Tuesday, November 23, 2004

 

Tidbits

Here are some things that caught my attention lately. Since I don't think these things deserve separate posts, here we go.

1) First, this Science-based story by Jeyamohan. I didn't know Jeyamohan writes these kinda stories too!! The basic story is about how different our Siddha Medicinal system is from Alopathy and how the system that we practise now is not the true Siddha. I got to know (learnt!?) a lot of things. Interesting read. But, after having read the story, I feel as if I went through a dense medical journal ("Siddha for dummies" !?)

2) When I was looking for some interesting blogs to read (as if I didn't have enuf already!) I stumbled on Sriram Krishnan's blog, He is a student (Wow!) in Chennai, a nerd & more importantly, has excellent coding skills! Good to see such motivated talents. He is really in to search technologies. Though, directly not related to my current work, I got kinda motivated reading all his articles. No denying that his "How to write a search engine in 16 hours" post brought back sweet memories of how I had only an evening to make our OS, which we did as our final year project, understand Tamil :) Good old days. I doubt I enjoy doing anything so strenuous lately. Professional life, for sure, takes out that enthusiasm and, sometimes, that curiosity to learn more & more things, out of you. This is my personal opinion, of course. Let's hope Sriram doesn't feel like me after 5 yrs of being in the field. Microsoft/Google, if you are looking for a talent, with enuf enthusiasm/motivation & technical know-how, you've got the right candidate here!

PS: Rama/Prem, this fellow is good, do have a look at his postings.

3) Latest *big* thing (& here's a going-to-be-a-big-thing! ;)) in Gollywood: Dhanush got married to Aishwarya, super-star's daughter.



Don't you think Rajini looks more like one of those ADMK ministers?? I can't believe this is the same person who attacked Jeyalalitha so ferocioulsy back in 1996!!

4) Mr. Duraipandi is strongly arguing that the number of characters alloted to Tamil in Unicode is not enough. I found this article quite interesting; Mr.Duraipandi gives a no-nonsense introduction to what makes Unicode tick, especially the Tamil part of it. He complains that if only Indian government had given a proper set of characters to be included in the Unicode, we'd have been typing much easier in Tamil. As a Tamil blogger now for close to 2 months, I have to agree! If not for the excellent software, e-kalappai, I'd have given up by now. One small grumble though: Mr.Duraipandi could've avoided the usual "Tamil is not given proper recognition, we are always the losers, blah blah blah" whining!

5) Saw some 10 - 12 movies since my last [movie] post here. Nowadays, I see so much *junk* that I keep forgetting the good films I see, along with those junk. Some films that I wanted to mention were "7/G Rainbow colony", "Bose" & "Bride & Prejudice". For those who haven't heard about these films, the first two are Tamil films and the last one is an Hinglish film. "Bride & Prejudice" (B&P) is directed by Gurinder Chadha (Bend it like Beckham fame). This film portrays a Punjabi family, literally preparing their daughters to be given in marriage to desis & only Desis! I didn't like the movie. Aishwarya was charming & beautiful as usual, the songs were great (except for the last duet song), some of the dialogues were good & sharp, so why I didn't like this?! I don't know; It simply is not the best effort by Ms.Gurinder. I have a detailed review of this ready somewhere in my HDD, might come around to post that sometime later (BTW, here are some Desi jokes). I think "7/G Rainbow colony" (7/G) is an excellent film by Selvaraghavan, director of "Thulluvatho Illamai" & "Kadhal kondaen". If you haven't seen this film yet, thinking that all Selvaragavan films are are always cheap and vulgar, you are missing a good movie; you have to see this film. The film was so captivating that I could not stop thinking about it for 2 days. If you think the songs are so good to hear, just see them in the movie in proper context, you will love them! I think Ravikrishna (hero) is a talented actor, but it is too early to say that. Sonia Agarwal has acted excellently. Yuvan shankar raja is fast becoming my favorite music director. I heard Karthik Raja, his brother, did the BGM for the movie, but who cares?! BGM is the backbone of this movie. It brings the emotions in every scene to life. Excellent work, again. Do not miss this movie. I read some reviews saying that only if you are/were in love, you'll like this movie, *shrug*, probably true! "Bose", I think, is one of those good movies that go unnoticed. It sucked for the first 15 or so minutes, but after that the screenplay really picked up pace. Srikanth copies Surya's mannerisms to show himself as a tough commando [sic!]. Sneha is charming & beautiful, as usu...Oops, I said the same for Aishwarya, right?! quick, think of something! Ok, "As usual, Sneha is beautiful & charming" ;-) I have a biiig review written for this too. I will post it one of these days.

Some movies I have a review written and stashed (lost?!) somewhere in my HDD: "Mr. 3000", "Beg!", "Herold & Kumar go to White castle", "The Forgotten", "Office space" & some more I don't remember now!!

Comments:
Thanks for the compliments :-)
 
And I've been hired by Microsoft - not by the MSN Search team though :) I'll be joining in 5-6 months
 
Congrats!
 
Well, Bride and Prejudice is a take on Pride and Prejudice! If compared, you'll understand why you don't like it, I guess.

Even without the comparison, it is a BAD movie...Aish is a doll and nothing more..definitely not worth the hype she creates in India and abroad alike...She was far better in Raincoat (a take on Gift of Magi). But that's purely down to the Bengali film maker. Even I can act good under that guy ;-) And the music, BG and otherwise, sucked big time. And Anu Malik claims he is being invited by Hollywood on strength of his performance in B&P!! Bundle of crap and nothing more!

Coming to YSRaja/KRaja....talented - yes..but I don't think they are going to reach the skill level his father possess"ED" and may be still possesses. They both have done some fantastic pieces here and there (Grahan, parts of Aravindan, Nanda to mention some) but not as consistent and sincere to the movies as their father was...Ofcourse, my opinion.
 
well, jus saw the pictorials of Dhanush's wedding, i hope marriage won't tie him down to act in his future movies, jus like what has happened to Sidarth who acted in BOYS.....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Indian Bloggers Ring
[ Join | Hub | ? | << | >> ]